Allow image uploads?

Degree
A few times now I've had to upload images to IMGUR and then come back and paste them in here. Curious why you don't allow image uploads direct to BS?

*BuSo lol

Also I imagine it's a whole can of worms to open (In terms of liability for content that's uploaded, copyrights, added cost, effort, time, dealing with takedown requests) when there's already a service that exists and works perfectly called imgur.

The closest we allow is cached hotlinking, where we'll grab an image and store it locally for as long as it is regularly viewed. If it stops being viewed often, we drop the cached version out of the server. It adds up to a ton of space and bandwidth. It'd be even worse if we allowed image uploads as attachments. Hotlinking and Imgur solves every use case.

The only time an image won't be shown is if it's some absurd file size. I think the limit is at 5 MB already, which allows for animated gifs. Any static image bigger then that means the poster didn't take any consideration about what they were about to post to someone else's website.

Back