Ahrefs launches Yep.com, their search engine with a 90% ad share for publishers

If you wanted an actual competitor to Google, the best would be Yandex.

I sometimes use Yandex when I want actually neutral results on controversial issues (which are more and more).

I'm sure Yandex is biased when it's stuff about Putin, but for most everything else, it allows you to see what Google showed you up until 2016-17, when all the tech companies got together to ban Trump and everyone who brought him in.

Google is bad now and people are noticing and my personal opinion remains that it's because of the political censorship that gives shit sites like Forbes such a huge share. It's because Forbes are curated for political opinions and that spills over into their other content.

I guess this makes me glad I use SEMRush over AHREFS, since at least my sub money will go to their core product.

And Yep, the results are ass just as I suspected.

I love Ahrefs. Started my career with Moz, moved on to Majestic (lol), then SEMRush, before finally landing on Ahrefs as the go-to. They've clearly got some bright folks capable of building great things, and Yep is still technically Beta so, I'm choosing to be optimistic.

Apple's search engine will turn the search world upside down. Instead of pure monopoly there will then be a space for competition. The mere fact that the layperson will be made aware that they have more than one viable search option and knowing there is finally actual competition opens the door for players like Yep, and other privacy focused actors like DDG.

Shit, DuckDuckGo's growth over the last 8 years looks pretty dang consistent and as others have pointed out, just a sliver of this MASSIVE market is huge.

The economy is changing. Sentiment towards giant tech monopolies is increasingly negative. The EU regulatory attack dogs are unrelenting. Google is regularly thrashed as trash, and I haven't met an SEO in the last 5 years who'd disagree.

Apple will force a competitive landscape, other players will come to play ball, and Google will have to react. My guess is their competitive nature and ability to rapidly adapt has been atrophied by decades of complete monopoly and front row access to Uncle Sam's teat, setting up a potential drawn-out bloodbath by a thousand cuts slow bleed scenario.

Last edited:
Back