Agency footer link

Degree
I am slapping my agency brand name link at the bottom of each of my customers website that I make. Should that link be nofollow or leave as is

You're not going to get a consensus here. I would not nofollow that link.

I'd do-follow it on the homepage and no-follow it on all other pages. Or only have it on the homepage itself. Depends on if you're concerned with the link juice and eventual SERP visibility or the immediate visibility.

When I ran my old agency - I removed all those damn footer links cause competitors would come across them and try to pouch our clients. We never lost a client to it but it wasn't worth the risk. We also had some crazy prospects who would call every single client of ours and ask them a ton of questions BEFORE ever speaking with us or contacting us as a way of prospecting whether we are a good fit for them. Some clients would tell us about it at the next client meeting we had, it wouldn't bother them, but at the same time that was completely out of line from my perspective.

I completely understood why they did it cause SEO and website design is so new it's hard to gauge who knows their shit. But at the same time I don't need random prospects or competitors just calling up all my clients. However after we removed the links we did start using that tactic to call other agency's clients and did win a ton of new accounts. :wink:

It came down to whether we knew our shit or not. Competitors couldn't take our clients but we definitely were able to take competitors.

This was in the era before dofollow and nofollow. I would dofollow that shit though now-a-days IF I did it, which I recommend not even doing it though cause of my reason above.

Thanks guys..I have two customers that have really good metrics for their sites. They rank with no seo done (they have a tons of mentions, social signals, etc) their name is very popular on social media platforms so they get plenty of juice. Anyway I'll keep a dofollow link on those two and the rest will nofollow them

Back