Affiliate clicks conversion rate

Degree
Hi,

I started a couple of months ago to monetize my site with affiliate offers. I set a Google Analytics Event to track the affiliate clicks on the different pages. However, I have no reference what is a good or bad conversion. With conversion rate, I mean the ratio between article visitors and affiliate link clicks. Is 5% good or 50%?

Is the conversion totally different across niches and offerings, or do you have a certain conversion rate you want to see to consider a page as “well optimized” for affiliate clicks? I would be interested to have some data for the following type of articles:
  • Best x for y
  • x review
  • x vs y
  • x alternatives
Thanks a lot

It's different per niche, time of day, traffic source, organic ranking position, search terms, how hot the traffic is, seasonality, and so forth.

I've had pages around 10% and I've had pages around 50%, all in the type of bottom of the funnel keywords you mentioned above.

You can coax a really high click-through-rate but that doesn't mean you're going to make more money. You don't want too many tricks or too little pre-selling or you won't get conversions on the other side of the click. You'll often see networks provide an earnings-per-click (EPC), which gives you another barometer of how well you're warming the clickers before sending them over.

Besides that fear-mongering, in cases such as Amazon, you're almost always going to do better to coax more clicks because they've done so much split testing and sell so much stuff, it's better to just get visitors over to them and let them handle it.

But in the case of an actual landing page where the friction to make a sale is much higher and there's more steps of pre-selling and up-selling and carts and whipping out their cards, sending the right clicks matters way more than sending as many as possible.

Back