Adding video to a blog: increasing page rank & epmv

Degree
I’ve struggled to understand the impact video (youtube) can make for a mid sized blog that is doing fairly well.

I intuitively believe google values sites that also explain via video or have a youtube channel and not just blog.

Curious if anyone has anything to add to this list of benefits, and if its worth it?

*keep in mind, the process goes as follows: make youtube vid based on blog content, then also break that video up and host it on my sitemap video (mediavine)

*my niche is tech, tech related how to posts, informational, and affiliate posts.

—————— benefits list to criticize me on or add to————

This is assuming the vid takes 30 min to make - heres my personal list on why it might be worth it:
  • low hanging fruit: I already researched the core of video content by writing the blog post; less creativity required. 30-40 mins for me to make a decent youtube quality vid right now w/ my workflow
  • Video ads from blog: Can break up chapter clips (from the full length youtube vid) and add to mediavine video and add to areas of the page in addition to the full length vid embedded via youtube
  • Increased time on page: Watching the vid will result in increased time on page per session for visitors. Good google signal for page rank?
  • Sends traffic to your site: link in description people can click for the blog version. Id like to believe any additional traffic is a good sign for page rank, and of course ad revenue
  • Video sitemap & youtube: Google knows you post videos by linking to it each week from youtube, and can add them to video sitemap (i use mediavine). I feel like this HAS to add some sort of credibility?
  • Diversify income: This will earn income via youtube adswhich alone may be enough to add video.
  • Video snippet in SERPS: this one is actually pretty signficant for ctr on the meta title in serps (i believe). Unsure if it requires a video sitemap or if the youtube vid embed achieves this as well

Last edited:
Where’s the negatives? You have a huge list of benefits you believe in. If I was in your boat, logically, I’d go for it.

The only thing that would slow me down is figuring out where my own time is best spent. It’s probably not video, so I’d be looking to outsource the creation if I thought there’d be an ROI. I’d might do it at break even for the invisible benefits you hypothesize.

A great reason to do it, even if you stop later, can be summed up as “brand signals”. These lead to trust, which lead to a much easier time with everything related to SEO.

With Mediavine you could just as easily make 5 videos and let Mediavine figure out which earns the best in which playlist order. And play those globally. The benefit of having custom videos for each page isn’t that high. The new in-stream player for normal video ads are supposedly outperforming video embeds anyways. Lower RPM but higher impressions because it’s all ads with higher fill rates that reload. I haven’t switched though.

I do think as AI content usage increases, the value of video will explode. The internet is gearing up to see spamming of the type we haven’t seen in over a decade, which is why Google is increasing the threshold for what it takes to get indexed now. They’re preparing already. So right now for video is still the era of late adopter but it’s still ahead of the content spam curve.

Where’s the negatives? You have a huge list of benefits you believe in. If I was in your boat, logically, I’d go for it.

The only thing that would slow me down is figuring out where my own time is best spent. It’s probably not video, so I’d be looking to outsource the creation if I thought there’d be an ROI. I’d might do it at break even for the invisible benefits you hypothesize.

A great reason to do it, even if you stop later, can be summed up as “brand signals”. These lead to trust, which lead to a much easier time with everything related to SEO.

With Mediavine you could just as easily make 5 videos and let Mediavine figure out which earns the best in which playlist order. And play those globally. The benefit of having custom videos for each page isn’t that high. The new in-stream player for normal video ads are supposedly outperforming video embeds anyways. Lower RPM but higher impressions because it’s all ads with higher fill rates that reload. I haven’t switched though.

I do think as AI content usage increases, the value of video will explode. The internet is gearing up to see spamming of the type we haven’t seen in over a decade, which is why Google is increasing the threshold for what it takes to get indexed now. They’re preparing already. So right now for video is still the era of late adopter but it’s still ahead of the content spam curve.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, brand signals is definitely the term i couldnt manage to find.

As for mediavine i have this hypotheses that after the first (30 second) universal player has played; a mediavine video half way down my post could result in another video ad tick, since most people click out of the video by that time. atleast i do.

suppose its not that vital, but for a epmv nerd like me its interesting thought to entertain. Im probably splitting hairs here.

Back