90 day amazon tracking cookie

Degree
Hello,

several plugins, such as easy azon 4.0, promise to add the affiliated product automatically to the users amazon cart and extend the period of cookie affection of up to 90 days.

I have 2 questions regarding this practice:
  1. What are they basically doing in the background? How can this be done "manually"?
  2. Does the 90 day cookie only go for the affiliated product or for everything that the user buys? What if he removes the affiliated product from his cart, is the cookie still active?
I really appreciate your replies!

Wow, Adding the product to a shopper's cart, that's straight up classical Dark Patterns. For the whitehats you might want to look at that Dark Pattern site and see how crazy shit can get - as well for the blackhatters - you might want to check it out to get ideas. :wink:

Amazon supplies the method, which includes an "add to cart" button. You could reverse engineer that to do some trickery. Also, I'm pretty sure it's only for that item, not all items. Would be great for high priced items.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/gp/associates/help/t2/a11
"It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.co.uk via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.co.uk without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.co.uk."

This implies to me that the cookie is only for abandoned carted products, not for all.

So you send Mary with an add to cart to amazon. She adds that vibrator you linked to proudly, but her day of masturabation hasn't come yet (outside of 24 hr standard cookie period).

I think by sending her to amazon, you get a 24 hour cookie and her adding the vibrator to her cart and abandoning it sets another 90day affiliate cookie.

I used to believe that if you link someone there with an affiliate add to cart link and they add the item to their cart, then you'd get referral fees ON ALL PURCHASES for 90 days.

But I don't think that's the case.

So you send Mary with an add to cart to amazon. She adds that vibrator you linked to proudly, but her day of masturabation hasn't come yet (outside of 24 hr standard cookie period).

I think by sending her to amazon, you get a 24 hour cookie and her adding the vibrator to her cart and abandoning it sets another 90day affiliate cookie.

I used to believe that if you link someone there with an affiliate add to cart link and they add the item to their cart, then you'd get referral fees ON ALL PURCHASES for 90 days.

But I don't think that's the case.

Yep, I get you have the 24 hour cookie and only for the item in the cart the 90 day tracking cookie, but I am still unsure if this is really the case...

I'm going to need to start doing this lol...

Back