80% of Pages Missing in Search

Degree
I woke up this morning to see my traffic in google analytics had dropped by more than half.

I then did a few searches in incognito and none of my main keywords were in the top 3 anymore. Actually I couldn’t find them even in the top 100

I then went to search console to test the links and it shows all green check marks. Lastly I checked for manual penalties and nothing showed there either.

Does anyone have an idea of what I need to check? I’m about to have a panic attack.

I also use Screpy for tracking certain keywords and the vast majority came back with no results.

Nothing that I’m aware of.

This happened to my sites as well during the may/June update. Still nothing has returned. My one site is almost 10 years old with nothing shady.

a lot of people have experienced the same thing, some have seen recovery.

many have suggested using the kitchen sink method found here.

in all honesty, I feel Google has f’d up somehow, only time will tell.

Had the same thing with my older site in the May update.
It all came back after a month.
Then it all went away after another week.
Google is drunk this summer.

Happened to me too, about 80% on the nose, although mine happened in tandem with the short July PRU rollout. Seen enough of these types of posts to agree that something does not seem right. I wonder if that's why the rollout ended so early (1 week vs the 2-3 week statement). I guy can hope..

Last edited:
I thought I had survived the July update with minimal problems, but I guess it's encouraging (and discouraging) that others are still experiencing drops as well.

@wikibum and @harrytwatter - I appreciate the links. I'll read through those here in a little while.

Core update, review update, google's own indexing issue, a lot are happening there. Conduct a site:domain search, and see how many pages are there.
  1. Check your GSC coverage data, look for error and fix them if there any.
  2. Make sure your SEO plugin is okay after the last update (RankMath changed my settings after the update once).
  3. Check for robot meta tag for individual article, set them up correctly, remove no-index tag if exists.
  4. Apply for Google news, or use Indexing API for indexing articles quickly.
Thanks.

Back