7x$1k sites or 1x$7k site?

Degree
I want financial freedom. About $7k a month would give me that. Is the easiest route to build small sites one by one to $1k/month revenue or to concentrate to make one bigger site up to $7k/month?

Note I’m not asking which route is “easy”, but which route is “easier”!

Assuming you are working alone and don't already have a team in place, I would think that building 1 site to $7,000/month is more practical and realistic. While getting $1k/month per site would be achieved faster, I don't think it is "easier".

The problem is that 7 sites might spread you too thin if you don't already have a team ready to go. Some argue the first $1,000/month is the most difficult thousand to achieve - things should move a lot faster growing a site from that point.

I would also say it depends on your monetization methods and plans to receive traffic.

I want financial freedom. About $7k a month would give me that. Is the easiest route to build small sites one by one to $1k/month revenue or to concentrate to make one bigger site up to $7k/month?

Note I’m not asking which route is “easy”, but which route is “easier”!
My understanding is that it would take less total accumulative effort to get a single site to $7k/month than seven sites to $1k/month with all else being equal.

Well, here I am going against the grain again...

I actually think it is easier to have 7 things all doing $1k a month then 1 doing $7k a month.

For the past 20 years, I've always been able to get multiple projects at the same time to $1k a month at least. Generally hitting that $1k a month goal in less than 30 days.

Getting one site to $7k though with nothing else, took a lot longer for me than the 7 sites doing $1k each monthly.

I also look at risk.

Lets say you have 1 site doing $7k monthly. You're one algo penalty away from losing most of it overnight maybe. With 7 sites though, that might mean 7 different content styles, 7 different SEO strategies, 7 different niches, etc... and if you lose 1 or 2, you still have 4-6 sites doing $1k a month for you.

My assumption is you're talking about SEO here.

The ramp up time to hit $1k is going to be a year if you're good. If you're not good, it's going to be 1.5 years or 2 years if you're at a decent skill level. You will be throttled by Google as a low trust site. Expect these time frames at least.

That's a LOT of lead time. It will require planting enough seeds so that you can actually reach these revenue numbers in the allotted time frame. This means that if you spread yourself thin over 7 sites, you can expect to drastically increase the time frame needed, unless you have the funds and workers to get it all built for & with you.

The lead time and spreading yourself thin is what will kill (in a bad way) this concept for you, especially if you're a beginner.

But once you pass that threshold it's much easier to reach $7k, possibly in the same amount of time it took you to hit $1k. But that also requires you to not be spreading yourself thin. You'll have to plow all your efforts on one project.

Everything about SEO is cumulative and snowballing. Time, content, topical authority, backlinks. Backlinks is a huge one. It's either really time consuming or really expensive to get a respectable backlink profile. Trying to do this 7 times is really goofy, unless you can afford to start with aged and linked domains.

If I could tap my glittery little slippers together and have one or the other, I'd take 7 sites earning 1k each. If I was putting on my steel toe boots to build this myself, I'd aim for 1 site making 7k.

I agree. In theory I’d rather have 7 sites making 1k. Making that happen sounds like a real headache. Gimme a magic money template that shits out passive income I’m over the moon. Problem in the past for me was diversification of sites wasn't actually good risk protection cuz they all tanked at once anyway.....

Thanks everyone for the comments. I’m doing all the work myself and it’s SEO focused, with the addition of a moderately successful podcast that I use to plug the site as much as I can.

Im only a few months in, getting about 70 clicks a day for Google so still very early stages. I appreciate all the different viewpoints but sounds like sticking to this one site for now is the most realistic way forward!

I'd say (as always with search engines and internet marketing) it depends...

If you have enough niche knowledge (or luck that you stumble across a formula), you can make smaller websites and repeat. But they will probably be limited hyper-focused evergreen topic sites (ime) which will never grow that much bigger. But that intense focus can help you to rank for keywords that earn well.

Having built a fair few of them and getting towards the end of my working days, I've switched over lately to a couple of more expansionist broader niche topic sites, just for variety and potential sales value in the future. So far, my experience has been that traffic building is easier but conversions are harder. (My sites have historically worked on the affiliate model and not the advertising or hybrid model that many do here.)

I'm better building at 7x$1k, but am better at operating/maintaining 1x$7k.

Don't only consider what is easier to build, consider if you're building yourself a monster. After all, you want financial freedom, right?

One site and make it work until it cashflows enough to bankroll another. Exit and repeat. Exit and repeat until the stakes are too high for you to carry the risk of being wiped out on a multi 7 figure deal.

Then exit and buy property.

Let's assume your goal of financial freedom is just 7k per month.

In that case, I'd say do 7 sites, (I am assuming you have a budget to pump out like minimum 100+ articles on all those sites.)

If you don't have that kind of budget then stick with 1, maybe 2.

BTW I tried the same type of crap as 7 sites or watever. Although to be fair my keyword research was ultra crap. Regardless I can just imagine what 2000 articles on 1 site with couple years aged would make me. Even with garbage content but right kw research I would have probably been able to "exit" with 7 figures. Not sure if I woud exit with 7 figures tho.

Is it easier to focus on 1 priority or 7?

Build 1 site, master your niche, hone your craft, develop systems and processes, learn to outsource.

Once you think you've got that down, you can decide whether to:
1. Sell that site and pivot
2. Keep that site and expand your media empire to a second site
3. Accelerate that site w/o expanding.

But you don't want to add complexity at stage 1. It looks appealing because you're saying things like:
"What if I pick a bad niche"
"What if I get a google penalty"
"Won't more sites up my chances of a lucky break"

But that's just not how this works. This isn't the stone age. Don't have 7 babies with hopes that 1 makes it to adulthood. Have 1 baby, give it every ounce of your attention and every chance to fulfill all of your dreams.

Oh, and definitely expand that dream beyond 7k/month. If you want 7k, aim for 70k (or 700k). It primes a better growth mindset.

• 1 site, $7k is far easier if its via affiliate or display ads via SEO.
  • 7 sites = 7x the logins, 7x the set up 7x the mantainence.
  • I would only choose “7 sites making $1k each” unless I planned on quickly flipping the sites and nothing further - never aspiring anything else

I would rather have my fingers in many pies to mitigate any risk of being hit by Google penalties etc.

I would grow one site towards $7k p/m but while you are in the process of growing it (say you reach around $3k p/m) consider buying an existing blog(s) that already have some juice in them and that way maybe you have the one blog you grew to $3k p/m + 2 other existing blogs that are already making say $200 p/m and you then scale the three blogs to total: $7k p/m

In the past I've found it easier to grow a $7k p/m style asset than 7 x $1k p/m style assets simply by being able to pour effort and knowledge into the one project. BUT I'd much prefer to be in the latter scenario for diversification purposes and some future-proofing.

7 sites is too many. 3 is max i will ever do. im trying to scale and its extremely hard to focus on more than 1 site and has proven to be a mistake on my part

Back