5 random tips for email marketing

Degree
In another life I managed some large mailing lists and here are some tips I picked up in the field.

1. Don't use people's names unless they're going to recognize your brand. If they signed up in a way that might.. confuse them at all.. they'll be creeped out if you're using their names in the emails. Unless they're going to 100% remember signing up and giving you their name, don't use it.

2. Make it dead-simple to unsubscribe, you really don't want people on your list that don't want to be there, if your spam complains are too high early on it can sink you.

3. In an email with a quick intro, a big button and text link, some more text, another big CTA button, then finally a PS - at the end, the PS link would always get the most clicks and conversions.

4. Read through people's responses to your emails. Depending on the size of your list, it will probably take just a few minutes a day, maybe half an hour, and it will give you incredible insights to your campaigns. If people email you asking to unsubscribe, you want to catch that right away. You can get a VA to do this too and to just paste you the highlights and manually subscribe anyone that can't figure it out.

5. Make sure your emails show up nice on mobile. This wasn't really a 'thing' when I was at it, at least not nearly as much, but today I would prioritize it.

Mostly common sense stuff here. Any other tips to add?

I was reminiscing and figured this might be useful for somebody.

My biggest regret in IM is that I did not start building a list on day 1.

Back