30k word article

Discussion in 'Board Room' started by Kris, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kris

Kris

Degree:
    *Disclaimer, I have no affiliation to Polygon at all. I actually dislike most of their reviews but this huge article they have done is really impressive and it might give others some inspiration/ideas.

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

The author got in contact with 30 people who were involved in the development of the popular JRPG game for the Playstation, Final Fantasy 7. It reaches just shy of 32k words.

They've also added a useful bookmark feature where it will save where the reader is up to in the article, if they wish to continue reading the rest at a later time.

Ryuzaki and CCarter like this.
  2. Vert

Vert Overcoming adversity

Degree:
    Would not be better to paginate the text in sections just like the hardware reviews websites do instead of displaying all the text altogether?

Anyway, great article that I'm sure will delight any fan of the game.

EyesExist and Kris like this.
  3. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  
    Ryuzaki 女性以上のお金 Staff Member

Degree:
    I loved their old design. I like the new design even better, minus the above the fold on the inner pages. Hero splash images are a fad that don't really offer anything to anyone, IMO.

I hate pagination with a passion. 2 Pages, I'm okay with. The gallery types of 10 items and each item is on another page... Killer model but I'm not the right demographic. I'll tolerate a site like that if they offer a "View all pages on one" option though. I guess it boils down to preference.

Raymond Luo, backwoods and Kris like this.
  4. EyesExist

EyesExist king potential

Degree:
    I couldn't even take the time to browse.

Looks too complex.

Nat likes this.
  5. alext

alext

Degree:
    Thanks for sharing this - good inspiration for what can be done with long-form content.

Just checked on Ahrefs and the page has got backlinks from over 180 referring domains already, so it's definitely generated some buzz.

Kris likes this.