What hobbies do you guys have beyond IM?

Hi. While not doing IM, I dance swing! I dance everything: lindy hop, jazz, balboa, blues, etc ... it is really fun activity! Within first 8 months, I lost 20 KGs (3.5 stone, 40 pounds, etc ...). That was my biggest achievement. I used to dance every single day and twice on Sundays!

Now I dance only 3-5 times a week, still fun. I also started vlogging about it ... out of passion (not profits). Will see how it goes xD

Found myself a hobby, Arma 3. It's awesome, I love realistic games.

2451266-107410_screenshots_2013-03-05_00002.jpg

arma_3_13__1_5.jpg

Found myself a hobby, Arma 3. It's awesome, I love realistic games.

2451266-107410_screenshots_2013-03-05_00002.jpg

arma_3_13__1_5.jpg
Arma is fucking great. Check out battle royale mod if you haven't already. There are also few dayz style mods like exile and similar. I loved dayz arma 2 mod, have like 400 hours played of that shit.

I am also into gaming. Recent best game that I played is Dark Souls. Fucking love it. Playing now Dark Souls 2 so I am ready for DS3 next month.

This is great description of Dark Souls that I found sometime ago:

"It's like being married to a woman who is attractive and charming and funny and intelligent and you are soulmates and everything is perfect, right? She is the perfect woman. You could not ask for a more better woman in the world. You love her, and she loves you. Only, she has one flaw. Every 5 minutes, she punches you in the face... For no reason, she just punches you in the face every 5 minutes. Even at night, you wake up, she punches you in the face. You recover, get 3 minutes 38 seconds of sleep, then she punches you in the face again. And you love her."

Kinda like entrepreneurship.

I've started getting into leathercraft. I picked up some tools and a couple half-shoulders and I've just been playing around with it so far. I've made a few odds and ends like an ashtray, and I'm going to do a cover for a baron fig notebook next (slightly different dimensions than a moleskine.) After that, I'm going to tackle a basic wallet.

I find cutting and stitching it to be very relaxing. I haven't gotten into tooling at all yet, which is stamping designs into the leather like this:

306f5a57b658e815396a5449c2fa281a.jpg

One of the challenges is trying to focus more on the craft and hobby, and to silence the business ideas that pop into my head. If I end up continuing to enjoy this, it would be great to take some of my internet savvy and use that to market custom super high quality leather wallets and accessories, but I just want to enjoy the process for now and not put the buggy ahead of the mule. Not to mention that it'll take years to reach that level of craftsmanship.

I love to train BJJ (Brazilian ju-jitsu) and MMA striking. There's just something about these two things.

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day and I'm done training, I feel 100% better.
When I'm having trouble thinking of an idea or stuck on a problem, some training helps me break out of that thought pattern.

I could go on but I would just be rambling. :tongue:

@hehejo and @SSG +1 to BJJ. If you are ever in rural north east NSW in Australia hit me up for a roll haha.

BJJ in the evenings is a perfect way to unwind after a hard day grinding. Great people too.

Other hobbies include mucking around with my two dogs. We live on a quarter acre and I have a Wolf Hound cross and Great Dane cross. Big dogs and they are a bunch of fun. I can be in the shittest mood and then I will see them.

Food. Cooking and eating. Love me a good coffee too.

Lego - I've only just got back into that. So much fun. My wife thinks I'm a child, I think its awesome :D Building stuff in general is enjoyable.

I also enjoy drawing and writing, however I haven't been doing it much lately.

Cars and guitars. I play guitar in a metal band. In the summer it's grudge match drag racing. I've got an 1/8th mile track under half an hour away. The nearest 1/4 mile is couple hours away but, I may hit that up in the summer.

I think it's funny what some people list as their hobbies these days (and how much time they dedicate to them). I find, it's usually these same people that will later start bitching and complaining that they're not as successful as they want to be.

My experience? When I decided I wanted to be successful, I no longer had hobbies. Singular focus, with crazed obsession, creates expedited results. There's no fucking time for hobbies that aren't related to business.

Crass? Maybe, but this is a builder's society after all is it not? :evil: :D

Right now much of my time is consumed with a new baby, but I have been dabbling in aquaponics. I have built 4 different iterations of a small in-home setup over a large a aquarium that works fantastically (although in two previous versions I almost killed my fish). Next up is a much larger setup. If there are any aquaponics nerds here I would love to connect.

I think it's funny what some people list as their hobbies these days (and how much time they dedicate to them). I find, it's usually these same people that will later start bitching and complaining that they're not as successful as they want to be.

My experience? When I decided I wanted to be successful, I no longer had hobbies. Singular focus, with crazed obsession, creates expedited results. There's no fucking time for hobbies that aren't related to business.

Crass? Maybe, but this is a builder's society after all is it not? :evil: :D

I think it depends on your version of being "successful".

BTW, when did you give up hobbies? Has it been more than 2 years honestly?

The reason I ask is, I've never had hobbies really other than watching TV and playing video games which I rarely did anyways. I don't consider either hobbies though.

When I finally got some money ( its almost been 10 years now ) I really didn't get hobbies either. I picked mine up in the last 2-3 years though finally.

Why? Becomes at some point certain things hit you and you start asking yourself, did I do all this shit for nothing? What do I have to show for it?

Am all I am a machine that punches into my desktop every day and eat at my desk and then go to bed at 1am?

I've owned houses, I've owned boats and nice SUVs, I've been on very expensive vacations and done some radical shit... but its all moments or things other people wanted and I've just been apart of and paid for. I take that back.... there was one vacation I loved being on where I stayed in someone's 5 story mansion that had an elevator and its own private beach. I loved that shit. This guys showers ( he had 5 of them ) were all bigger than my living room and fancy as hell.

While it was nice, the new wears off. What do I have to keep me grounded every week or every day so I can get my mind and mental juices flowing in another area of life? Sometimes I can be stuck on something in business and go out and shoot a few rounds and clean my guns and I get my thoughts on something else and BAM, got a solution to my business problem.

Hey, I'd love to be Richard Branson successful. I've learned to tone it down some. Trust me, you will hit the wall with burnout multiple times if you let it. You don't want that..trust me.

I just like making music.

It goes hand and hand with IM honestly. Both require effort and a bit of learning and give HUGE reward.

Fuck yeah to music.

Love playing soccer, and played at a decent level in past I've recently started coaching kids too which I just find absolutely amazing. I like to train and keep fit but not the gym type more outdoor cardio and own body weight. I make a bit of music (rap) too, I just like writing and expressing feelings and life experiences over a beat. Don't really watch TV but every now and again I watch a movie preferably action or comedy nothing too serious. Oh and reading autobiographies...

Motocross but I had to put in on the back burner for the time right now, its just consumes so much times it's nuts. I do however going on weekend getaway riding jetski fri-sun with friends staying in nature and its a great way to disconnect.

Im a former Marine, so I spend a lot of time on gun and machine gun ranges. Spraying a semi can be orgasmic after sitting in front of a screen for 13 hours a day

Photography. I've been doing IM remotely for the past 3 years (aka digital nomading), and went to some beautiful places, so one time I figured I better buy a camera to better document it all... Can of worms. Slowly it went from a small hobby to a total obsession. But this "hobby" really goes hand-in-hand with travel, gives you a reason to leave the house and explore new places with no other purpose than to take photos. I often wander around for hours, I'd never explore as much without a camera.

It also gives one a fresh perspective, I never viewed myself as an artistic person before... Anytime I'd work or make sites for example, I'd rush them to completion, looking to maximize profit and not caring about quality as much. But as a photographer, one has to be extremely attentive to detail, always looking to improve, never satisfied with anything less than perfection. I think it's a quality that's needed to create something truly great in business as well, one that I've admittedly lacked in the past.

My only hobby is the nonstop gaining of knowledge and experience with the goal of achieving greatness. Everything else feels like a waste of time.

classic muscle car restoration (typically between 60's - 70's). Currently in negotiations on a 1957 Chevy 3100. Also wood working and gardening.

Lifting, fishing, drinking and I read and watch waaaaay too much about ancient history and pre-history, so much that I think I will launch a site in niche.

Been doing the latter more than the former after my neck injury.

Anything these guys do, I'm pretty much down for:
norseman.jpg

I have new hobby, rebuilding my new old Accord, it's fun and educating.

1997-accord-10.jpg

And some hobbies like gunsmithing, mini engines, handmade knives etc.

I've never really had any hobbies, but any spare time I had went out the window with the birth of my kids, who are now 1 and 3 years old. All my time is spent on them or growing my business.

I look forward to posting in this thread again in 5 - 10 years when I will hopefully have some spare time for hobbies!

I've never really had any hobbies, but any spare time I had went out the window with the birth of my kids, who are now 1 and 3 years old. All my time is spent on them or growing my business.

I look forward to posting in this thread again in 5 - 10 years when I will hopefully have some spare time for hobbies!
You know there is time if you make time, it's all about priorities. I have friends who live active lifestyle wiht young kids and make it work because they want to. I also have friends who do like you because they don't make the time. I'm not saying that it's easy to have a life with young kids just that it's doable.

I play drums. Fell in love with drumming when I was studying in uni. Sometimes i don't even play any songs. Just me, a pair of sticks, and my drum pad doing rudiments. It's kind of like a meditation of sorts for me. Calms me down and helps me focus

Back