Has Anyone Moved from Apache to LiteSpeed & Measured the Performance?

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I'm considering moving my current main site over to a Litespeed server with Litespeed Cache. Over time my current "legacy VPS" as it is now called has experienced a slower and slower time to first byte and general slowness it feels.

If you look around the net for information about Litespeed, you'll be amazed. It's the most shilled topic in existence, from fake reviews to fake benchmarks to fake fanboys and then it gets even worse because the fanboys of Nginx and Apache come in and make it doubly as bad.

Every single benchmark test, even the honest ones in articles or on Youtube all have some glaring idiocy involved. So it's completely impossible to get a true read on how much better it is or not. The only conclusion I could come to was that it truly does require less resources at much higher traffic levels. A lower powered Litespeed server can handle as much power as a more expensive Apache or Nginx server, if they're all tuned to the max.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is hearing that the Litespeed Cache is similar to Varnish cache, which isn't a big deal but it does annoy me when trying to development work, because it seems difficult to flush and get a current reading on the server.

Anyways, my point here is, has anyone made the jump and paid attention to the improvements or lack thereof? I'll take anecdotal evidence, gut feeling, people moving from Nginx, whatever. I just need some real life opinions. Thank you.

Hi @Ryuzaki. This is my time to help you for once instead of the other way around :wink:

I switched to litespeed server + litespeed cache last summer. For me, the results have been great. I came from shared hosting (non-litespeed) and I am now using shared hosting litespeed.

Mabye this is not applicable to you, but I really liked using just one plugin for website speed. Before I used an image optimization plugin, wp super cache and autoptimze. Now, I just use the litepseed cache plugin (which takes care of all).

I have to say my website speed was not that bad before switching, but I got 2,4 seconds LCP which was living on the edge (CWV). I think the lighthouse speed test was giving me 90 something.

Now, the LCP is 1 second sitewide. I just tested 1 article (100/100) and one category page which is more image-heavy (99/100) on the lighthouse mobile test.

An important detail is that I'm based in Europe. Despite that I can get 1 second LCP sitewide, while the lighthouse test runs from the US. If I remember corectly, I tested my website speed with GTmetrix after the switch last summer (with an European server) and I think LCP was about 400/500 ms.

Last edited:
So it's funny you mention the above @Ryuzaki because I currently use NGINX and have also considered switching to OpenLiteSpeed too.

Currently, my servers are with Vultr and are managed via Runcloud.io.

Someone I follow in the "Page Speed" community is Gijo Varghese.

His tests:
https://wpspeedmatters.com/openlitespeed-vs-nginx-in-wordpress/#test-configuration
I'd wager to say his findings are fairly unbiased.

Likely I'll end up making another site to test with; Keep us posted with your decision too.

I switched to litespeed server + litespeed cache last summer. For me, the results have been great. I came from shared hosting (non-litespeed) and I am now using shared hosting litespeed.

Same thing. Litespeed is fast and you can even setup css (ucss) at a template level with their wp plugin (still learning how to do that), but its been great overall! No complaints what so ever. Would definitely recommend it.

Back