Google to Train AI by Scraping Everything Online

Politico

Boot Camp
Degree
I'm sure this isn't a shock or surprise to any one of us, but I guess it's now officially stated in their Privacy Policy.

Google is going to train its AI by scraping everything that's publicly available online. So in very-Google-fashion they're going to steal everyone else's work to serve up via their own products.

For example, we may collect information that’s publicly available online or from other public sources to help train Google’s AI models and build products and features, like Google Translate, Bard and Cloud AI capabilities. Or, if your business’ information appears on a website, we may index and display it on Google services

Full Article Here

Fun times. Just thought I'd share.

Does anyone think there will be any legal challenges to this type of scraping and re-purposing without compensation/attribution? I feel like it'd be hard to do, since this is basically what everyone already does anyway pre-AI - every content writer alive basically researches other people's content and writes their own based on it.

Does anyone think there will be any legal challenges to this type of scraping and re-purposing without compensation/attribution?
Yes. There's already been discussions of class action lawsuits for graphic artists.

I saw a headline that Sarah Silverman (the comedian) is joining with two other people (I hesitate to call her an author) who's books can be completely summarized by ChatGPT, meaning they fed the software her book to read. It's not just that they trained on the book but that people don't need to buy it if they can get it summarized. It'll be an interesting battle since there's entire services out there that have audiobook-form summaries you can listen to instead of reading the whole book, and they've been in business for a long time now.

I'm not holding my breath. It'll take critical mass for any regulatory body in the U.S. to give a shit. If anything, I'd expect the impetus for change to come out of the E.U. as they don't seem to be as entirely beholden to Alphabet as our own lawmakers.

I'm curious to see what happens with the lawsuits in the general sense. It seems like more are coming by the day.

A decade from now, people would be wondering how Google managed to do the biggest content theft in the history without any consequences.

Back