CC9 -- Kaylee

Discussion in 'Traffic Leaks Boot Camp' started by ModernMarketeer, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCarter

•  
    •  
    •  
    CCarter Weakness cannot persist in a power-evolving world Staff Member

•  
    •  
    Degree:
    To be honest, he hasn't really swung the hammer more then 10 times. If you pivot without doing a thousand swings, you'll be pivoting all over the place. I know his site and his niche, It maybe on a downward trend but it still has huge volume especially worldwide - no one is doing XYZ nonsense fad outside the USA for example, so the downward trends is mostly accounting for that in his market (not being the fad that's growing) - which is great cause if he angles it right he can have a huge international market - especially people emerging on the scene, but the general niche still holds tens of thousands of events within the States alone, so it's not dead - it will survived all of these fad niches.

In his scenario he looked even deeper within his niche, and found a sub-niche that is actually growing, if he had pivoted, he would have missed that since he took 10 swings and gave up - that's the problem just because there is an obstacle in your way, doesn't necessary mean you go in a different direction - you just have to look closer to the rock and find the sweet spot to start hammering away. Once you find the fault in the rock, bam - you are likely to get a flood sooner.

This is also a primary example of why you have to put in at least a thousand of hours at something before giving up. @ModernMarketeer has a job, so he can't dedicate 18+ hours a day for 7 days a week, if he was dedicating that much he would have found the problem sooner probably within 1-2 weeks, and corrected his aim, but that learning still took XYZ hours = probably 200 hours - it doesn't matter if he learns it months later or weeks later since the same amount of time is needed to make that discovery, now he can swing better, and go forward.

If you believe in something, just because there are nay-sayers, doubters, or people on the sideline questioning your choice, it doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong, or they are wrong, just look closer and figure out how to overcome the obstacle in your way. Even if he doesn't go after the sub-niche, his main niche still has millions of more people then any of the other fads.

ModernMarketeer, algospider and built like this.
  2. MetaData

•  
    •  
    MetaData

Degree:
    @ModernMarketeer Anything new going on since your last update? Your goal by the end of june was $100 a week, how's that looking?

3. ModernMarketeer

•  
    ModernMarketeer

•  
    Degree:
    So my thread has been dormant for some time now and so has my site.

I've hardly checked BuSo (although I'm so pleased to see so many new members) but I just wanted to end my journey properly to hopefully guide others.

What did you learn?

I'm going to say something that many will disagree with but strategically I didn't learn much. I always wondered when I saw experiments like this about what those on the inside knew - I was jealous that they had access to some secrets that weren't available to others but the truth is that 99% of what was posted in the private group was available to everyone else through the different threads.

I have learnt a lot about myself though - mainly that this isn't for me. I'm far too comfortable with my 9/5 job... even going so far as to say I love what I do for work!

The problem is that for me to be able to replace my current level of income I would need to be part of the digital marketing 1%... and I realised that was never going to happen when I have a family to feed and a lifestyle outside of work that I love - I simply gave up.

It was refreshing to be free from the feeling that has nagged at me for so many years - that I should be running my own online biz...

I'm simply too comfortable and not hungry enough.

You've gotta really want this shit.

@CCarter isn't some zen master, final level marketing boss... he's just a guy who keeps grinding it out no matter what.

How's your project doing now?

The site is still getting a few hundred views each month and I'm adding half a dozen new subscribers to my mailing list each day.

Any regrets or things you would do differently?

Regrets and starting over feels like excuses but I think if I had to do it all over again I would have built a proper business and done something ecommerce based instead.

The design was good and content solid but I just couldn't keep grinding.

If anyone's interested I picked the triathlon niche and the website is http://www.triathlonbase.com/

What worked the best for you?

SEO and forum engagement. These have been my two biggest traffic sources. I didn't like the constant pushing of Reddit as a traffic source without any real focus on other channels.

Have you applied what you've learned into your next project if you started something new?

I've applied a few of the time management and organisation tips to my day-to-day planning.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.