Advice for an SEO Recruiter?

Degree
Howdy Peeps!

My SEO Consultant friend and I have recently started a recruitment agency dedicated entirely to SEO and AI. (which I wont name for now as to avoid any rule breaking etc. - I'm not here to advertise)

Do you guys have any tips for us recruiters in the SEO space? I know we can have a bad name sometimes from some naughty recruiters not responding to applications etc. But what do you like to see, as an agency or a candidate, from people in my sector?

I'm working everyday to keep up with the trending topics and changes in search but any advice is really appreciated!

Could be a good time to vent about all the terrible experiences you've had with SEO recruiters.

Unsure what recruiting experience you have.

The main issue job seekers have with recruiters is they reach out, tell you about a position, then ghost.

If you spent time with a recruiter, the least they could do is to is spend 30 seconds to respond.

Email templates are easy.

I always feed back to people verbally as a priority so I don't negatively effect our brand. It's super important.

Experience wise: I've been a tech recruiter for 11+ years. Recruiting mostly in Cloud, Big Data, AI - the software engineering which contributes to them.

This is common feedback in most verticals. People hate being ghosted and it's rude which is NOT my style!

I was working with a recruiter to hire and I think my issue is lack of quality testing. So I think the best thing you can do as an agency is communicate how you're testing applicants to help employers understand competency.

There's a million ways to approach SEO projects, so I think giving a sample site to the applicant and asking them to spend 15 mins to note problems & screen record while talking through issues out loud could be a good way to go. Gets a sense of how they approach a problem and some of the ideas they would have to solve.

Definitely give a time limit though because we want to see how the gears turn, but don't want to spend hours watching a full analysis.

I was working with a recruiter to hire and I think my issue is lack of quality testing. So I think the best thing you can do as an agency is communicate how you're testing applicants to help employers understand competency.

There's a million ways to approach SEO projects, so I think giving a sample site to the applicant and asking them to spend 15 mins to note problems & screen record while talking through issues out loud could be a good way to go. Gets a sense of how they approach a problem and some of the ideas they would have to solve.

Definitely give a time limit though because we want to see how the gears turn, but don't want to spend hours watching a full analysis.

LOVE this. Appreciate the feedback.

What do you think would be the best way to get example websites? Just something random?

Don't overthink it. If you find one that looks janky then throw that to them and see what they find. Better yet, you can double the value by including that domain in a link building campaign/relationship campaign by reaching out to that site owner and alerting them of what the applicant found.

Maybe they could use a SEO person to help them on their site and might want to hire someone that you can find for them?

I've only experienced recruiting as a candidate. What I don't get is why recruiters don't coach candidates on how the client is. Like "This company is super burocratic so you need to learn what stakeholder management is and have weekly meeting with stakeholders." Stuff like that to help candidates pass the culture fit test.

I've only experienced recruiting as a candidate. What I don't get is why recruiters don't coach candidates on how the client is. Like "This company is super burocratic so you need to learn what stakeholder management is and have weekly meeting with stakeholders." Stuff like that to help candidates pass the culture fit test.
I agree with that. From a hiring side I'm pretty transparent with stuff like that when talking with the recruiter and the applicant. Seems like a lot of recruiters are just churning through resumes and trying to get someone (anyone) hired as fast as possible so they can collect their cut. Would definitely make it better for both sides if there was some sort of coaching or at least a check into company culture to see if the applicant might be a fit or not prior to sending to a company to interview.

Upwork (not a recruiter) does a pretty good job with testing so it's clear to everyone what the skills look like. Could be a good value-add if a recruiter gave a resume for an applicant plus some sort of profile like that.

If someone isn't as experienced with stakeholder management then offer a training course to upskill (probably could use as an add-on service).

Back